Not quite a piece of cake

Dear Ruth, 


Below is my attempt at making your lemon iced fingers. I shall call mine fingers.


You see, I got to the icing stage and realised that, not being a regular baker, the sugar I thought was icing sugar was in fact caster sugar. In my time cooking, I've got hold of normal sugar, light brown sugar, caster sugar... just how many sugars are there?


One thing that was really encouraging though was just how tasty it is without icing, and just how easy it was to make. I mean, ridiculously easy, if a bit messy (below is the tidied up table after measuring the ingredients.



 So, thankfully I had some self raising flour and a lemon to hand, plus normal sugar. It truly is scary how much sugar goes into this. Beating time, was a challenge at first, what with the butter sticking to the whisk and the need for measured use of the balloon to stop the flour flying all over the kitchen. 


I actually found it tough! I had to put all the power of my right arm into it, but after a minute it started to come together and get a lot easier. I suddenly felt like a baker!


Definitely recommend this recipe to others. I started it at 9:15pm. By 10 I was devouring it! In the time it was in the oven I ironed my shirts for the week, and did the washing up, so the cake and dollop of ice cream with it was thoroughly deserved don't you think?


So below is photographic proof that even if I didn't manage your icing, I did manage to put the cake in the oven properly, and of course take it out. Without burning (I'm so proud).










And boy did it taste good.


Yours with a little squeeze (of lemon)


Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment