Pietastic

Dear Ruth,


Oh yeah, I made some pies, I made some pies, I made some pies. Hot toasty apple and cinnamon pies!


I could get used to this, home made apple pies, although the cinnamon really does makes all the difference.


I followed your instructions and successfully made a ball of dough






I have to say, it was a bit of an anticlimax making pastry dough. I realise the recipe doesn't suggest kneeding, but I've made a few loaves of bread in the past and the kneeding is the best bit. It's been a hectic week, so I sneaked in a bit of pummelling. The dough broke up a bit too much for my liking. Wuss.


Now, I thought I had all the kit. I bought the bun tray today, I've had a rolling pin in the drawer for two years that I'm not even sure is mine, and in my mind I also had a pastry brush there. But of course there's always something missing. Something important.


So old Mr make do and mend over here  used an old plastic soup container and a knife to cut my 'circles'. And then brushed the egg mixture with the back of a teaspoon. And look:




Ok, I could have pushed the front one down a bit but there you go. Half-pies.


What do you mean where are the rest? Um, well, one ended up on the floor, one on the sink, and perhaps, just perhaps I could have rolled the pastry out a bit thinner...


But 20 mins later look what came out:


An apple and cinnamon pie




Gorgeous beast.


As you've probably worked out by now, the pie itself was quite dry with thick pastry and the need for a bit more juice in the filling. So I sought an accompaniment. And thankfully in my freezer is a classic twist on 'ice cream' to go with this take on an apple pie:





Yours exceedingly

Tom

1 comment:

  1. Tom
    What did I tell you about not eating the apples?

    But I concur, simply beastly.

    Good job the beautiful Ruth is on hand to save the day,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete