Old Mother Hubbard...

Dear Tom

So you are back, I thought you had got lost somewhere.

Happy to help with your request for store cupboard must haves, however, you did say a list of things that I couldn't do without... for me, that would be an enormous task, quite honestly more store cupboard is full to busting!! I collect just in case ingredients the same way others collect pottery or pieces of art! So, I think maybe I will try and break it down a bit.

Top of my list, as I have said before is Marigold Swiss vegetable Bouillon, a fabulous stock that I simply couldn't do without
After that;

Herbs and Spices

You can't have too many of these as long as you use them and don't let the pots gather dust for a few years and then wonder why they don't taste of anything

Cinnamon (great in sweet/savoury dishes)
Smoked paprika (fab in soups)
Mild chilli powder
Ground ginger
Cumin seeds
Ground coriander
Ground cumin
Mixed spice

Thyme
Oregano
Rosemary
Bay leaves
Parsley
Mixed herbs

Tins and jars

Tomatoes (I get through heaps)
Tomato Puree (ok so its a tube not a tin, but it seemed like a good place to put it in)
Lots of beans, pulses like kidney beans, cannelloni, chickpeas, puy lentils, baked beans.
Tuna
Worcestershire sauce
light soy sauce
White wine vinegar
Balsamic vinegar
Whole grain mustard
Capers
Chutney and Jam (I will have you making your own soon)

Packet and baking

Plain flour
Self raising flour
Strong white flour
Cornflour
Baking powder
Bicarbonate
Vanilla Extract (Not essence which has never seen a vanilla pod!!)
Cous cous
Rice
Pasta shapes
Porridge oats
Cheap chocolate (for cooking not scoffing)
Coco powder
Sugar, white, soft brown
Sultanas

Fresh (Must Have In Always)

Eggs
Butter
Garlic
Onions
Cheese, mature cheddar (I don't like mild)
Lemon juice (one of those plastic ones is fine)
Potatoes
Plain yoghurt


I am sure there are plenty of things I have forgotten, and I'd like to hear about other people's essentials too...


Enjoy your shopping

Yours, waiting to resume lessons,

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment