Chorizo style pork bites

Hello again

I wanted to write about rhubarb this week, but thanks to the lack of rain there just isn't enough yet to take from the plant. Then I thought I'd write about wild garlic, but haven't had time to go very far to forage, I could tell you all about how I made Panna Cotta out of seaweed this week, but have a feeling that it might not go down too well... so.... I decided I'd have a think about it whilst cooking tea. My mind was still blank as I was filling up my kitchen counter, and still blank as I started combining the ingredients for tonight's dinner. In fact it was still blank as I was stirring away and then my 3 year old came in and said "What's that yummy smell?" followed by my 11yr old pinching something out of the pan and saying "Wow, can I have some more?" ... always nice to hear!

I was making a bung it risotto, (Fairly standard, bung in whatever is in the fridge, and not worth writing down really) but the magic, lovely, smelling ingredient was something based on what I picked up at my trip to River cottage over the weekend. Chorizo style pork bites. They are easy, can be made in advance and can be added to pasta, rice, pizza, soup, you get the picture.

Ingredients

500g Pork Mince
40ml Red Wine (I used port as had no wine)
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
1 dst spoon sweet paprika
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
2 tsp salt
black pepper
Oil for frying

Method

1  Apart from the oil combine all of the ingredients together in a bowl, mix really well.

2  Pop mixture into a clean bowl, cover and fridge for a  day to let the ingredients blend together better



3 ( I didn't wait, cooked half straight away and moulded and refridgerated half for tomorrow)



4  Make small balls of mixture, I think mine made 30

5 Fry the balls for a few minutes each, until cooked through



6  They are now ready to use in another dish or eat straight away

Hints and tips

Pork mince is used because it is the best at taking up other flavours and has a high fat content meaning it will hold together well

These can be kept in the fridge in an air tight container for a week

I think they would be really tasty with some fried potatoes and a poached egg

The tasty meat would also work well with spring greens


Please let me know what you think, and of any other recipes you would like to see

No comments:

Post a Comment